I did a raw food presentation at the Awake and Empowered Expo in Troy, MI this past weekend and promised this recipe so here it is! 🙂
The food processor comes to the rescue again; I think it’s one of my favorite appliances in the kitchen! Here is another great use for it: raw energy bars. Perfect for you to make ahead of time and take with you when you’re in a pinch. I’ve been on a little bit of a sesame seed kick lately – make sure you check out this Homemade Sesame Ginger Dressing – but these bars just hit the spot for me! These are wholesome and crazy YUM, which is all you need, right?!
Sesame seeds should not be overlooked; they are one of the oldest oilseeds known to us. They not only provide a good amount of protein and fiber, but they also may aid in reducing blood pressure and anxiety (because of the magnesium), lowering cholesterol (because of the phytosterols), producing collagen (because of the zinc), strengthening bones (because of the calcium), and relieving arthritis (because of the copper).
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp. tahini
- 2 tbsp. coconut flour
- 3 tbsp. ground flax seeds
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ¼-1/2 tsp. salt (depending on preference)
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until one big mass forms.
- Place contents in a square or rectangle pan and press evenly on bottom with a spatula.
- Cut into bars and place into refrigerator for at least an hour until firm.
And remember, reduce, reuse, recycle!! 😉